Grow. Eat. Live.

Grow.  Eat.  Live.
Grow. Eat. Live.

Translate

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

WHAT ARE YOU SNACKING?

 
"A Roasted Medley"
 
 
Roasted Pecans, Almonds, and Pumpkin Seeds
with spices
 
 
Last night I created a healthy alternative snack to help me fend off my sweet tooth attack I'm currently battling.  I have given up junk food sweets and candy for Lent.  Hopefully I can hack it for 40 days.  But, why only 40 days?  Hmm... It's a start for me to see if I have the discipline in kicking the junk food addiction.  If I succeed, then I will go on further.  I must say it is hard because once the body is used to the artificial sweets it's a fight to ignore the addiction.  Remember the post on "Sugar Addiction"?  Sugar addiction is a serious habit that should not be ignore especially for too long.  Why?  The longer you are taking in sugary foods the more damage is occurring inside of your body.  Therefore, causing severe havoc on your blood sugar levels leading into diabetes and damaging your pancreas or losing limbs, fingers, toes, teeth, and eyesight.  Remember you cannot replace a pancreas organ.  Keep in mind cancer loves sugar.   High sugar foods causes weight gain.   

The past few days I've been reading up on how to make "healthy snacks" that can be nutritiousness for my body and help the body heal.

Here is what I've created that can satisfy a sweet tooth and hunger.  Keep in mind nuts and seeds are packed with healthy heart fats, vitamins, minerals, and protein!

 
Roasting Seasonings
 
  • 1/2 cup of raw pecans
  • 1/2 cup of raw almonds
  • 1/4 cup of raw pumpkin seeds
  • 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon of garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon of paprika
  • 1 tablespoon of onion powder
  • 2 tablespoon of nutritional yeast
  • 2 tablespoon of pure maple syrup
  • a dash of sea salt *optional
  • a dash of chili or cayenne pepper *optional
  • 1 tablespoon of dried thyme

Tip:  You can use coconut oil or grape seed oil.  You can use honey, raw coconut nectar syrup, or raw agave nectar. You can use any nuts or seeds.

Mix all ingredients in a bowl

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Mix all the ingredients.  Then on a baking sheet with parchment paper (optional) spread out the nuts and seeds on the sheet.

*You can drizzle little more pure maple syrup before it goes in the oven.

Ready to roast!

Roast in oven for 10 - 15 minutes only.  Do not over cook.

Your "healthy snack" is ready to munch on!

Get with THIS!
"Roasted Medley"
Alternative Snack

After eating this Roasted Medley you will feel no need to reach out for this...
 
Oh My Goodness Badness
"Sweet Table"
 
Keep it moving because you will have this baggie of healthy goodness...

Ziploc bag of Roasted Medley
with dried cranberries and dairy and soy free mini semisweet chocolate chips


Health Tip:  Portion Control is the key to maintain a healthy weight. Click here
The Secrets of Portion Control

Let's start in making that change to kick the junk food addiction!



 


6 comments:

  1. It is really hard going off sweets. I used t have such a sweet tooth. I did it last March (at least I think it was March). I still put sugar (well maple syrup, honey, or molasses) into a few of my foods (like salad dressings) but in very small quantities. It will be interesting to see what I do with my fruit harvest this year. Usually I make jams and such, but I found no sugar or really low sugar types just don't keep as well. Those peaches get brown. Ick. So I might end up freezing and making jam just occasionally. I'll still make some of the regular types for my neighbors though. They like my sweet holiday treats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is hard to fend off the sweet tooth. Lately I've been baking with coconut sugar. Can't wait to see what grows in your food garden this spring/summer DaphnesDandelions.blogspot.com

      Delete
  2. I don't have a sweet tooth, but occasionally I'll crave for something sweet, those mix nuts looks really delicious wish I can have a handful now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mac, that's good you don't a sweet tooth. The nuts and pumpkin seeds were pretty good and putting pure maple syrup on them wasn't too sweet either.

      Delete