Grow. Eat. Live.

Grow.  Eat.  Live.
Grow. Eat. Live.

Translate

Wednesday, August 20, 2014

THE EARLY BIRD CATCHES THE WORM

"Someone was waiting in the shadows for IT!"
 
Feels like "each his own" these days
 

It's hard to get a nice sweet ripe fruit these days without someone snatching it before you can grab it.  This time I covered the fig tree plant over with bird netting to protect the figs.  Last year, my nephew and I missed out on a nice big juicy ripe fig.  He wanted to take it off the tree but I told him wait until later.  Sure enough someone waited for us to leave and bit a chunk off.  So this year I tried to get one step ahead of the snatchers but I guess the snatchers outsmarted my ass.
 


Repotted Fig Tree
Summer 2014

I had this fig tree plant for over two years.  I bought it at the Union Square Farmer's Market for $15 and it was half this size with figs already on it.  My friend and I repotted it in late May.

Figs have excellent health benefits:

  • Lowers high blood pressure
  • Weight management
  • Protects against breast cancer
  • Anti-diabetic properties (the leaves and fruit)
  • Potassium
  • Fiber
  • Protection against macular degeneration
  • Manganese
 
Fresh figs are in season from June - September.

Got to get it while you got it...

Organic fresh ripe Brown Turkey Fig

 Nothing beats a fresh fig - not even a fig newton cookie.

 
Fig on top of yogurt


 So, have you tried a fresh fig?


1 comment:

  1. Just wanted to stop in and thank you for visiting my blog today. I am not sure why you are only getting blossoms on your squash plant but maybe the bees and bugs just aren't pollinating them for you. You could try doing it yourself by using a q-tip and getting pollen from the male flower and then putting that on the female flower. Might work.

    ReplyDelete