Grow. Eat. Live.

Grow.  Eat.  Live.
Grow. Eat. Live.

Translate

Monday, August 11, 2014

WHAT ARE YOU GROWING? SUMMER 2014

 
"Aways do your best.  What you plant now, you will harvest later."
                                                                                 Quote Og Mandino
 
 
 
 
 
 
I'm kicking off the week for the dedicated blog followers and viewers who sent in pictures and messages what they planted.  If you are growing something in your backyard garden, patio, terrace, rooftop, in front your door, community garden, or in your apartment in the window please send in pictures and I will show it off.
 
"What are you growing?"
 
     
 
Living It Up Alternatively
Follower Shital
 

 
"I just picked these tomatoes and peppers from my dad's yard."
 

 
"Two peppers were only ready to be harvest.  They are so delicious with omelet or scrambled eggs.  I'm about to make homemade spaghetti sauce."
 
 
Shital's homemade Tomato Sauce



"It's just something I got from all recipes.com, and mixed in with what came to my head":

5 of the tomatoes from the garden
2 bay leaves
3 cloves garlic
1 small to medium onion
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup red wine (of course it's optional)
1/2 cup tomato paste
salt and freshly ground black pepper, enough for your specific taste
I used the two chili peppers, but it's optional (not everyone likes spicy food)
pinch sugar

First I boiled the tomatoes to remove skin and seeds. If you don't get all the seeds out, it's ok. Then I pureed the tomatoes with food processor, hand held blender, etc. After the tomatoes were ready, then, sautéed onions, garlic, and bay leaves in oil. Add the salt and pepper and stir until onions and garlic start browning, low to medium heat. Once they brown to a nice color, add wine, if you are using it, then stir for a minute or two. Then add the tomatoes, sugar and tomato paste. Stir and let sauté for a good 10 to 15 minutes on low heat. Some say that it's best to cook the sauce as long as possible. However I didn't have the time, and since I pureed the tomatoes beforehand, I was happy to with the texture and thickness, without having to spend an entire day stirring it. Feel free to modify in any way.
 
 
Dinner is served!
 
 
It was delicious!
 
 
 
"Definitely try the sauce recipe.  Thanks!"
 
 
                                                                                             Shital
 


No comments:

Post a Comment