"Alternative Sweet Craving"
|Pecan Maple Cinnamon Sweet Potato|
It will satisfy that sweet craving
Sweet potatoes are an excellent choice in reaching for when you have that sweet tooth craving. Eating sweet potatoes will not give you that guilty feeling of "why did I eat that." The orange potato is super beneficial and can be eaten as a snack, vegetable side, and can be added to main dishes.
Why are the sweet potatoes beneficial?
Sweet potatoes plays an important role in our health. Those tubers are high in vitamin B6 (crucial in breaking down a substance known as homocysteine- contributes to hardening of the arteries and blood vessels), vitamin B5, thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, iron, calcium, and manganese.
Wait, these are not all the beneficial nutrients sweet potatoes provides us. Other nutrients are:
- High in potassium- very heart friendly. It helps lower blood pressure eliminating the body of excess sodium and regulate fluid balance. Therefore, regulates the natural rhythm of the heart, central nervous system, and the brain.
- High vitamin A (antioxidant)- anti-aging and eyesight friendly. It encourages glowing skin and collagen growth. The vitamin A nutrients sweet potatoes provides helps the surface of the eye, mucous membranes and skin be effective barriers to bacteria and viruses reducing the risk of eye infections and respiratory problems.
- Fiber- digestive tract friendly. Regulates the digestion.
- Beta-carotene- cancer fighting friendly. Studies have shown sweet potatoes may reduce the risk of breast cancer and ovarian cancer. However, purple sweet potatoes have shown to have better advantage cancer fighting abilities.
- Low glycemic index- carbohydrate metabolism friendly. It helps steady the levels of blood sugar. Therefore, it will not spike sugar levels but gives you energy.
- Magnesium- low stress friendly. It promotes relaxation, calmness, and a good mood.
- Anti-inflammatory properties.
- Vitamin C- immune system friendly.
Are there other varieties of sweet potatoes?
Sweet potatoes comes in white, yellow, pink and purple varieties. The orange sweet potatoes are more popular in the United States. Purple sweet potatoes have the greatest antioxidants.
Are there misconceptions with sweet potatoes?
Some people believe yams and sweet potatoes are the same. Sweet potatoes and yams are totally different and not related to the same family. Sweet potatoes are members of the morning glory family. Yams are related to the lilies and grasses and native to Africa and Asia. Yams are starchier, drier, and comes in many varieties.
Here are examples of the different varieties of sweet potatoes
Can sweet potatoes help you lose weight?
Sweet potatoes are low in calories and high in water content. Therefore, makes it an excellent weight loss food.
What are the beneficial ways in cooking the sweet potato?
You can steam or bake the potato.
Pecan Maple Sweet Potato
|Ready to Bake|
I like to steam my sweet potatoes.
- 1 medium size sweet potato
- 100% pure maple syrup ( no artificial syrup)
Steam the sweet potato until it is tender and soft. About 35-45 minutes depending on the size of the sweet potato. Then slice in half the sweet potato. Dash some ground cinnamon on top. Sprinkle of few pieces of pecans. Then drizzle the maple syrup. Place in toaster oven or conventional oven for about 10 minutes.
|Sweet Potato baking away!|
Then indulged in your guiltless pleasure!