March is colon cancer awareness month. COLON CANCER is the SECOND LEADING cause of DEATH in the United States and is the third most common cancer diagnosed in both men and women. The risk in developing colon cancer is 1 in 20. This is why "we" must "spread" awareness as best as possible to get the knowledge out to people. Prevention and awareness is the key.
What is Colorectal Cancer?
Cancer that starts either in the colon (6 foot long muscular tube connecting small intestine to rectum) or rectum (8 inch chamber connects colon to anus) area. It occurs when some of the cells in the lining of the rectum or colon becomes abnormal (polyps) and grow out of control spreading to the walls via blood vessels to nearby lymph nodes and other parts of the body, such as, the liver (main organ). A tumor is formed because of the abnormal cells.
In the early stages it may be little or no symptoms (asymptomatic). That is why it makes this cancer so dangerous.
- Blood or Mucus in the stools
- Tarry stools
- Changes in bowel movements - frequency, quality, and consistency of stools
- Unexplained weight loss
- Pains in abdomen
- Bloating in abdomen
- Feeling of fullness (even hours after eating)
- A lump in the tummy or lump in back passage felt by doctor
Sometimes these above symptoms can indicate another problem. A reason why you should seek medical help as soon as possible to get a proper diagnosis. Do not wait more than a month without seeking help.
Facts about the colon
The colon performs important functions because it is the last part of the digestive system.
- Part of the large intestine.
- Colon has four sections - ascending, transverse, descending, and sigmoid colon.
- Located at the lower right side of the abdominal cavity.
- Ascending colon is 25 cm long.
- Sigmoid is an S shaped.
- Main function is to remove waste products of digestion or stool.
- Colon is the site where all bacteria is located "intestinal flora" (hanging out spot where good bacteria resides) *Imperative that you maintain high good bacteria than bad bacteria.
- The older you are higher the risk. ( Beware younger people are starting to develop the disease)
- Diet high in - animal protein, saturated fats, low fiber, calories, alcohol consumption, and process preservative foods (sodium nitrates).
- Women who had breast, ovary, or uterus cancer.
- Family history of colorectal cancer.
- People with ulcerative colitis.
- Smoking. (Researchers found that smokers are severely at a higher risk)
- Physically inactive.
- Presence of polyps and left untreated.
- Crohn's disease.
- Irritable Bowel Disease (Researchers found patients with this disease are at a higher risk).
- People with Type 2 Diabetes.
- African Americans have the highest risk rates.
- Fecal occult blood test
- Stool DNA test
- Flexibly Sigmoidocopy
- Barium enema X-ray
- Colonoscopy (age 50+ should start being tested)
- CT colonography
- Ultrasound scan
This is our key to lowering the chances in developing this deadly disease.
*** Get tested!
Nutrition plays a major role in prevention. Up your increase on the following:
- Vegetables, Vegetables, Vegetables (fresh produce and organic if possible)
- Consume good quality of fats - avocado, olive oil (pure), fish oils (low mercury wild Salmon), nuts, grains, and seeds
- Exercise, Exercise
- Maintaining body weight (BMI)
- Utilizing fresh herbs and spices
- Probiotic acidolphius
- Fruits (organic is best)
- Process foods especially meats with SODIUM NITRATES & PRESERVATIVES (cold cuts, smoked meats, and hydrogenated oils)
- Artificial colorings (no nutritional value for the body)
- Red meats (reduce or eliminate as best as you can)
- Hormone or clone meats and other products- milk etc.
- GMO products (Genetically Modified Organisms)
- Limit the alcohol
- Sodas and artificial drink beverages
- Sugars - White and high fructose corn syrup
Get with this...
|Better than Soda & High fructose drinks!|
If you don't cook, then start learning to cook.
|Steamed Broccoli and Brussel Sprout|
1. Thoroughly wash produce.
2. Cut stems and separate the broccoli.
1 medium-big pot with cover
1 steam basket
Fill pot with water (mid-level or bit lower).
Do not let water touch basket.
Heat water to a rapid boil.
Add the vegetables in the basket and cover.
Cook until dark green 5 min.
It's simple, fun, creative, and it helps bring the family back to the table.
|Family table encourages good eating habits|
As you are aware, we can no longer rely on the government to help maintain pure food supplies. So much crap has been put into our foods and slipped through the proper channels of those supposedly "policing" it. Now and always YOU should be pushing forward on what is not acceptable. Remember you are the consumer/buyer. We must be our own police in eating and choosing the right food products.
|Healthy Variety of Greens!|
As supermarket prices increases purchasing the healthy alternative foods gets push back to the bottom of the shopping list.
Option: Grow your own foods.
Shop at farmer's market.
Join community food co-ops.
(I will show you in future postings a step by step on how I once again "reaped the benefits" in growing my own produce and finally created a vegetable garden this past summer!)
|Shop at a herb and spice specialty store|
Create your own spices!
Mix your own herbs!
On that note, I hope you will take some of this knowledge and be PROACTIVE.
Lets spread AWARENESS,
Get in the know,
Ask as many questions,
Don't be afraid in asking questions.
Knowledge is POWER!